PADMAAVAT UPDATE – With the release of the film Padmaavat, there have been many protests and unpleasant incidents. Karni Sena and other fringe element have created ruckus since yesterday. We have witnessed several violent protests mainly in the state of Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Haryana, some parts of Uttar Pradesh and Patna.
Amidst heavy controversy, Padmaavat was still released today January 25th 2018.
A Brief Look At Yesterday’s Violent Outbreaks
Let us begin with the worst one first. To protest the release of Padmaavat, Karni Sena Warriors pelted stones at a school bus with over a dozen kids and teachers. Children and teachers crouched on the floor to stay safe.
200 protesters blocked the Bombay – Agra National Highway 3 in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Around 50 Karni Sena Warriors stormed the highway breaking glass bottles to block the traffic flow and then burnt the effigy of Sanjay Leela Bhansali. People were terrorised and scared for their lives. Some warriors broke the wind shields of some cars and attacked some police personnel but fortunately non injury was caused.
Rajasthan was the worst! Karni Sena Warriors burnt tyres on Delhi – Ajmer Highway. The distributors refused to screen the film “Padmaavat” out of fear. The Multiplex Associan of India said that the members would not screen the film in Rajasthan, Gujrat, Madhya Pradesh and Goa.
In Etawah, Uttar Pradesh, the Karni Sena Warriors damaged the vehicles and in the process many vehicle owners also got injured. They also forced the shop owners to close their shops. Police had to lathicharge in order to attain law & order.
- Padmaavat was released regardless of the protests in most states except Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Goa.
- The schools will remain closed till Monday as the ‘Warriors’ of the Karni Sena didn’t even spare the school bus yesterday.
- The presidents of the two major political parties stay quiet about the violent protests. No strong statement has been issued by either
Congress(Correction: Congress president Rahul Gandhi tweeted yesterday against the School Bus Attack in Gurgaon) or BJP in this regard.
- Udaipur district administration requests the schools and collages not to play the Padmaavat song ‘Ghoomar’ at the Republic Day Function.
- Arvind Kejriwal of AAP and MK Stalin of DMK were among the few to condemn the attack on School Bus by the Karni Sena Warriors.
- Haryana Police arrests 18 people in connection with the School Bus Attack in Gurgaon.
The law and order situation has been disrupted since the protests against Padmaavat (originally Padmavati) began. This has worried many across the country as this raises a direct question on the democracy of India and if democracy is actually in danger in India?