Millions of people nowadays use removable orthodontic appliances to straighten crooked teeth. Braces are common, but people now use retainers to maintain well-aligned teeth after removing braces.
Is it important to clean your orthodontic appliances? Yes, you should clean your dental appliance daily if you wish to preserve oral health. Plaque from your teeth can get into the retainer and turn it dirty.
Numerous germs will get into your mouth if you forget to clean your oral appliance. It can cause several dental health issues and affect your smile. Therefore, you should try the best solution to keep your dental appliance clean!
Get familiar with your dental appliance:
You can maintain anything easily if you know everything about it. You won’t find it so tough to understand what your dental appliance is made of. Dentists recommend cleaning all sorts of dental appliances daily. It becomes much easier when you know the type of appliance you are using.
Most people use the acrylic appliance, which is molded to fit in the user’s mouth. Plastic retainers are pretty common nowadays because they are invisible. Durable retainers are much easier to clean, but you need to follow a gentle approach. You can destroy the shape of that appliance if you follow a hard approach!
Removable dental appliance cleaning method:
Whether you are using acrylic appliances or invisible ones, the cleaning method is as follows:
- Remove your denture and rinse it in clean water. Rinsing is important to remove plaque and debris stuck inside the appliance. Thus impurities won’t harden and it will be much easier to clean.
- You should brush your denture two times a day. Follow the same cleaning routine as you follow to keep your teeth clean. Get a soft bristle toothbrush especially to clean the dental appliance. You should try a gentle cleanser to kill all the germs and keep your denture ready for the next use.
- A mild soap will be a better denture cleanser than your toothpaste. You should avoid the use of toothpaste because it is abrasive and it can damage the shape. There will be visible scratches if you use the toothpaste and that retainer will look pretty weird.
- Always scrub the denture in a circular motion. Do not apply too much force because it will be super easy to remove food particles and plaque.
- Soak some cotton swabs in soap water and use them to clean deep inside grooves. Thus, you can easily remove germs and impurities.
Suppose your orthodontist has recommended soaking of the retainer before cleansing, you can try Retainer Brite. It is the best denture and dental appliance cleaning solution when it comes to removing germs, plaque, and other impurities.
Follow your dentist’s advice and get the best denture cleaning solution. Cleanser tablets will eliminate the need for soapy water. You can put the denture in the cleaning liquid overnight and get a perfectly cleaned dental appliance in the morning.
Cleaning sticky foods:
You should avoid the consumption of sugary, acidic, and sticky food when you are using dental appliances. Such foods are tough to clean and they turn into acids and damage the enamel layer.
Cleaning sticky food can be a daunting job, especially if stuck deep in groves. Use the cotton swab or the recommended cleansing tablets to remove sticky foods. Maintaining healthy and straight teeth will be much easier if carefully pick items to eat during the daytime! Clean the denture perfectly if you can’t resist having some sweet or sticky items.
Things to avoid when cleaning dental appliances:
Cleansing dental appliances is easy, but you need to follow the right procedure. Follow every tip shared in this post to keep the denture in perfect shape.
Do not use a brush with hard bristles. Avoid the use of toothpaste and do not use a harsh cleanser. Take these precautions and you can easily maintain the shape and visual appeal of your dental appliance.
You will have to clean that dental appliance daily if you want to have clean, healthy, and straight teeth. Follow the guide shared in this post to maintain a clean and perfectly shaped denture as long as you need it! Thus, you won’t need a new appliance and save some bucks!